Veteran Education Benefits

The Finance Office is responsible for processing Veteran Education Benefits for students pursuing programs at Concordia University-Portland. The information below is designed to assist students in navigating the process of applying for benefits, school certification, payments, and what the student responsibilities are. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to call or email the VA School Certifying Official (SCO). For general questions and answers on Veteran Benefits please visit the following sites:

Veteran Services
Luther Hall Room 200 8AM-4PM

School Certification

School certification requires:

  1. A valid VA Award Letter or Certificate of Eligibility
  2. Support documents (as required)
  3. Active registration
  4. Pursuit of an eligible degree or licensure program

Note: All courses certified must apply toward a program or degree

Enrollment will be certified no sooner than one month prior to the start of a new semester. Enrollment will be automatically certified for the fall and spring semesters; students wishing to be certified for the summer semester must provide active confirmation to Concordia University’s School Certifying Official.

Students have the right to choose which semesters are reported to the VA. If you wish to make any changes in your certification from the standard process please notify the SCO.

Student Responsibilities

  • It is the student’s responsibility to communicate any enrollment changes (add, drop, withdrawal, change of major, etc.) to the School Certifying Official. Registration changes may affect student VA benefits and in some cases may cause a return and repayment of funds to the VA and/or school.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to make tuition and fees payment arrangements with Concordia University Finance Office, Student Accounts by the semester payment deadlines.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to self-report monthly enrollment information to the VA (Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607).
  • It is the student’s responsibility to keep address and direct deposit information current with the VA. Address changes need to be communicated to the School Certifying Official as well.

Application for VA Education Benefits

Many education benefits are for Veterans and while others are for the spouse and/or dependents of Veterans. Please review basic eligibility requirements below to determine what best matches your situation. It can take the VA up to 12 weeks to process education benefit applications. You do not need to wait on applying for admission or for VA benefits – you may pursue both applications simultaneously. Concordia University will only certify benefits and does not ultimately determine Veteran eligibility of benefits; including education benefits, basic allowance for housing (BAH) or other stipends. If you have questions on how eligibility is determined you may contact the Regional VA Education Center in Muskogee, Oklahoma at 888-442-4551.

To learn more about financial aid and the benefits that may be available to you, we encourage you to explore these resources:

Student is the Veteran

There are several education benefits available to eligible select reserve, active duty, and separated military personnel.

  1. Apply for benefits via the VA website. Once your application has been processed by the VA you will receive an “Award Letter” or “Certificate of Eligibility” (CoE).
  2. When you receive your CoE, please send a copy to

Note: If you are separated from active duty, please send a copy of your most recent DD214 in addition to the Certificate of Eligibility.

Student is a Veteran Spouse or Child

There are two primary benefit programs available to eligible Veteran spouses and dependents: Chapter 35 Dependent Educational Assistance (DEA) or Chapter 33 Post-9/11 Transfer of Entitlement.


  1. Apply for benefits via the VA website. Once your application has been processed by the VA you will receive a “Certificate of Eligibility.”
  2. Send the Certificate of Eligibility, along with the most recent DD214 of the sponsoring Veteran and documentation showing the relationship between the student and Veteran, to
  3. Provide sufficient documentation to show relationship to Veteran, including: marriage certificate, military ID, birth certificate, or adoption papers


  1. The Veteran must submit a Transfer Education Benefit (TEB) with the DoD. Once the TEB has been approved, the Veteran will receive a hard copy confirmation via USPS.
  2. Upon approval, the student applies for benefits via the VA website. Once the student’s application has been processed by the VA, the VA will send a “Certificate of Eligibility” (CoE).
  3. Send the Certificate of Eligibility, along with the most recent DD214 of the sponsoring Veteran and documentation showing the relationship between the student and Veteran, to

Students Transferring Benefits (School to School)

If you are transferring your VA Benefits to Concordia University from another institution, please follow the steps below. Once we have ALL required documents we will take the next steps to certify your enrollment at Concordia with the VA.

  1. Scan and email a copy of your CoE to Concordia’s SCO. If you do not have a copy, please contact the VA for a duplicate copy.
  2. Scan and email the completed Request for Change of Place of Training to Concordia’s SCO
    1. Veteran Students
    2. Veteran Spouse/Dependent Students
  3. Notify the VA and the SCO of your prior school of your change of institution.

VA Payments

Chapter 33 Post-9/11, Yellow Ribbon, and Chapter 31 tuition and fees benefits are paid directly to Concordia University. All other benefits are paid directly to the student. It is the student’s responsibility to use those funds toward school and related expenses.

Concordia University is a Yellow Ribbon participant and has agreed to provide a maximum of 100 Yellow Ribbon scholarships for the 2016/2017 academic year. The VA is the authority in determining basic eligibility. Generally speaking, students may qualify for Yellow Ribbon funds if all of the following are met:

  1. Veteran is no longer on Active Duty
  2. Eligible for 100% of benefits under Chapter 33 Post-9/11 OR Transfer of Entitlement if spouse or child
  3. Tuition and fees exceed the fiscal year maximum covered by Chapter 33 Post-9/11
  4. Concordia University has unallocated Yellow Ribbon Scholarships available

Military Transcripts

Concordia University recognizes that many service personnel have taken specialized training during their military careers in addition to their regular duty work. In some cases, specialized military training can translate into college credit and thus contribute toward degree completion. Additionally, Concordia will transfer a maximum of 45 credits combined between military and CLEP. Please contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Deployment or Unexpected Withdrawal Policy

The Concordia University refund policy provides prorated refunds for dropped or withdrawn courses within the applicable deadlines posted on the academic calendar. If a student is called to active duty military service they (or impacted spouse/dependent) may be eligible for exceptions to these posted deadlines.

Students impacted by a call to active duty should:

  • Contact all professors to arrange for final grades to be issued or for assignment of incompletes as appropriate (see University policy on incomplete grades for more information).
    • If arrangements for a final grade or incomplete are not possible, Concordia University will drop the course(s).
  • Provide a written request for review of withdrawal due to active duty by contacting with a copy of active duty orders containing the issue date and effective date.

Any credit (full or partial) of tuition & fees will be determined for applicable courses upon verification of circumstances.

Note: All exceptions will be deliberated within the constraints of the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Title IV policies.

Become a Cavalier! Submit your application for enrollment today.