Due to the high demand for positions in the nursing program, the nursing admission process is different from traditional freshmen or transfer students. There are three ways to enter the nursing program: as a freshman, as a Pre-Nursing Admit to Major, or as a cohort-ready student. Please see below for more in-depth information regarding each pathway into Concordia’s nursing program.
Three ways to enter the nursing program
- Traditional Freshman Track (Freshman Advantage): Students with less than 12 semester credits or 18 quarter credits should follow the freshman application process and expect to meet specific benchmarks during their freshman and sophomore years.
- Pre-Nursing Admit to Major (Still Working on Pre-Requisites): Transfer students with more than 12 semester credits or 18 quarter credits who still need to complete a year or more of nursing pre-requisites must follow this transfer application process.
- Cohort-Ready Applicants: Transfer students who have completed or are in the process of completing their general education requirements and nursing pre-requisites may apply directly into the nursing cohort. The 2019 cohort application deadline is March 1, 2019. View Concordia’s nursing pre-requisites or learn more about the cohort-ready transfer application process.
Note: HUM 351 (The Global Village and the Challenge of Diversity) and REL 401 (Faith for Life) are courses that must be completed at Concordia, either the summer before the program or the summer following the first year.
Once cohort-ready, students can apply to one of two programs:
- On-Ground BSN Cohort: There is one on-ground cohort per academic year. The on-ground cohort starts in late August each year and the application is currently available. Please note that all general education and pre-requisite coursework must be completed by July 1st to be considered for the August cohort.March 1, 2019 is the application deadline and all materials must be received by this date (see list of required materials below). Interviews and KAPLAN admission tests will be conducted on March 9, 2019. Admission decisions will be made by March 15, 2019.
Apply to the on-ground BSN cohort here.
Required application materials:
- Online application: choose “Nursing” under Major
- Official transcripts from each college/university attended
- Current resume
- A one-page essay on “Why I want to be a nurse”
- Acknowledgment that student has earned or will earn CNA prior to the start of the program in August
Pre-Nursing Admit to Major students who have taken all general education and pre-requisite courses and are enrolled at Concordia University for at least two semesters prior to the August nursing cohort start will have priority review in the Admit to Major process.
- Accelerated BSN Cohort: This program is geared for second degree students or students with significant college credits earned. This hybrid program has three starts per year and is for students looking to fast track their nursing education through a mix of online and in-person learning. View the admissions requirements for the ABSN program here.
*Be aware that admission to this program is highly competitive. Completion of nursing pre-requisites does not guarantee entrance into the program.