Preparing for Nursing Study
Nursing requires strong interpersonal skills, and a solid understanding of human beings, human society, and the scientific basis of medicine and nursing. As a nurse, you will be responsible for clinical judgments based on your scientific reasoning. Likewise, with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Concordia University, you will have the potential to be a leader in nursing and healthcare.
As a nursing leader, you will need to express your ideas clearly. A solid foundation in the liberal arts will help you understand the events that are shaping healthcare and the health of individual patients. You will not simply be a technician at the bedside; you will be making decisions that impact the health of people in your community.
Expectations: Pre-Nursing Admit to Major Benchmarks
Concordia University Pre-Nursing Admit to Major transfer students (who are still working on pre-requisites) must meet the following expectations of academic and personal achievement to be eligible for the Admit to Major process:
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA in all classes. Students with a cumulative GPA below a 3.0 will not be considered for the Admit to Major Process.
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in the following math and science classes:
- College Algebra (MTH 123)
- Research & Statistics (MTH 231)
- One year of Chemistry or Chemistry 101 & 102 at Concordia
- One year of General Biology or BIO 211 at Concordia
- Microbiology (BIO 284)
- Anatomy (BIO 364)
- Physiology (BIO 365)
Students with a math and science GPA below a 3.0 will not be considered for the Admit to Major Process.
- Attend CU for the entire academic year immediately prior to the start of the BSN cohort (at a minimum, fall and spring semesters).
- Demonstrate evidence of good citizenship and responsibility while on campus. Recommendations from Concordia professors may be required.
- Complete a state-approved Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course prior to the start of the BSN upper division cohort, which begins in August.
CONTINUATION INTO THE BSN COHORT
Pre-nursing admit to major students will be notified in early spring of their admit to major application year at Concordia whether they have satisfactorily met the above criteria and can proceed with the Admit to Major process.
Due to limited enrollment capacity, Concordia University Nursing Program reserves the right to make annual modifications to the above criteria as needed. Prospective applicants will be notified of any changes to the above policy.