Working On-Campus

F-1 visa students are only allowed to work on-campus and must complete the following:

  • Obtain a social security number
  • File a tax form every year to receive tax refund
  • Only work 20 hours a week/40 during holidays

Working Off-Campus

F-1 visa students may work off-campus while in two special practical training options:

Curricular Practical Training

An eligible F-1 student may be authorized, by the DSO (Designated School Official), to participate in a curricular practical training program (CPT). The CPT must be a required part of a student’s degree program. CPT may be part-time or full-time. Employment for 20 hours or less per week is considered part-time while employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time.

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is designed to provide you with an opportunity to gain actual employment experience in your chosen profession for a maximum of one year.

To find out more about CPT or OPT please contact Linda Rountree.

Should you become employed during your time in the U.S., you will be required to obtain a Social Security card and number. A Social Security card is required only if you work in the United States. To apply for a Social Security card, you must have proof of a job offer and you must go in person to:

Social Security Office
1538 SW Yamhill Street
Portland, OR 97205
TEL: 1-800-772-1213

For more information on Social Security, visit the Social Security Administration’s website.

Become a Cavalier! Submit your application for enrollment today.