Concordia University-Portland was founded in 1905 and is located in the beautiful and energetic Alberta Arts district in Northeast Portland.

  • Concordia is a private, Lutheran liberal arts university that welcomes students of every culture and faith.
  • Concordia is one of the most affordable private school options in Portland and offers various scholarships to international students.
  • Concordia has been named one of the safest universities in Oregon.
  • Concordia is home to close to 2,000 on-campus undergraduate and graduate students, many of whom live in one of our seven different housing options.

Concordia is located in the ideal location to live, study and explore. Downtown Portland and the Portland International Airport are just a few minutes away by car or bus. The surrounding neighborhood is safe and features dozens of local shops, services, restaurants, and a movie theater all within walking distance.

International Student Club

The International Student Club is open to all international and domestic students. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment for students to discuss international issues, share experiences, and become active in the Concordia community. This club meets weekly and hosts several events each month. If you are interested in joining, please email us or visit our Facebook page.

Frequently Asked Questions

A: NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS: Your TOEFL score may be waived if you have attended a school for two years where the language of instruction is English, or if you are a citizen of an English-speaking country. Countries where English is the national language include (but are not limited to) Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa. If you have any questions regarding the specifics of this requirement, please contact the international admission office.

These exams and scores satisfy the English proficiency requirement:

Undergraduate: SAT Critical Reading Score of 480, ACT Composite Score of 18, ELS 112 or a “C” or above in a U.S.-based University English Composition Class will all waive the TOEFL.

Graduate: English proficiency exams are waived with an ELS 112 certificate, or an undergraduate degree from the U.S. for most programs. MBA students cannot waive the English proficiency exams with an ELS 112 certificate.

A: 4079 is Concordia's code used for TOEFL, GRE and CEEB

A: TOEFL requirements:
Undergraduate students: 71 Internet-based, 195 computer-based
Graduate students: 80 Internet-based, 213 computer-based

IELTS requirements:
Undergraduate students: 6.0
Graduate students: 6.5

A: Concordia requires the SAT or ACT if you fall under one of the following categories:

  • Are citizens of an English-speaking country
  • Are currently attending a school where the language of instruction is English. You must have attended this school for two or more years.

A: Our application deadlines are:

  • Fall Semester: July 1
  • Spring Semester: November 1
  • Summer Semester: April 1

A: YES! If you need English training and cannot meet our TOEFL or IELTS requirements, you may apply to ELS Language Centers and be conditionally admitted based on completion of the final level of classes.

International students who do not meet the English language requirements for full admission to an undergraduate or graduate program at Concordia can take intensive courses in ESL through the ELS Language Center on the Concordia campus.

Students who complete level 109 of the ELS can begin taking Concordia courses on a part-time basis. Once students have completed level 112, they are eligible for full admission (no additional testing is required).

For additional information about ELS/Portland, please contact the ELS Language Center at:
Tel: +1 503 280-8552

A: YES. Here at Concordia, class sizes are small and faculty are leaders in their fields of expertise who go out of their way to help you succeed. Students come from all over the world, choosing from 25 undergraduate majors plus graduate degrees in Business, Education, International Service Learning, and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL). We invite you to explore our website and hope to welcome you in person to our beautiful campus!

A: Please click here to view the cost of attendance for Concordia University.

A: Online payments are accepted. You can learn more about payment options here.

A: Most aid programs are restricted to students who are citizens or nationals of the United States, certain residents of the Pacific Islands, permanent residents of the United States, or students in the United States for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming permanent residents. All non-citizens of the U.S. must provide appropriate documentation from the Immigration and Naturalization Service before receiving aid.

International students may also refer to this table of merit scholarships to determine which awards they qualify for.

International students are responsible for the tuition and fees associated with the degree or certification in which they are enrolled. You may find information about financial aid opportunities at

A: Concordia’s application is free online! Access the online application here. You can also apply through the Common Application.

Once you are admitted the next step is a deposit in the amount of $300. This amount is applied to your tuition once you are enrolled in your program of choice. Please contact your admission counselor when you are ready to deposit and they will let you know that process.

A: F-1 visa students are allowed to work on-campus and must complete the following:

  • Obtain a social security number
  • File a tax form every year to receive tax refund
  • Only work 20 hours a week/40 during holidays at pre-approved campus jobs

Please email Sherry Durfey at the Office of International Student Services or visit the International Student Services webpage for more information.

A: F-1 visa students may work off-campus while in two special practical training options:

Curricular Practical Training
An eligible F-1 student may be authorized, by the DSO (Designated School Official), to participate in a curricular practical training program (CPT). The CPT must be a required part of a student's degree program. CPT may be part-time or full-time. Employment for 20 hours or less per week is considered part-time while employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time.

Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is designed to provide you with an opportunity to gain actual employment experience in your chosen profession for a maximum of one year.

To find out more about CPT or OPT please email Sherry Durfey.

Should you become employed during your time in the U.S., you will be required to obtain a Social Security card and number. A Social Security card is required only if you work in the United States. To apply for a Social Security card, you must have proof of a job offer and you must go in person to:

Social Security Office
1538 SW Yamhill Street
Portland, OR 97205
TEL: 1-800-772-1213

For more information on Social Security, visit the Social Security Administration's website.

A: Once you have submitted your deposit, please submit the following documents to your admission counselor. These can be mailed, or scanned and emailed.

If you are transferring a visa from another school within the United States, send a copy of your current I-20 and the SEVIS Transfer Form (below) signed by the International Student Advisor (DSO) at the school you are attending.

A: We are very proud of our university and want you to feel safe and comfortable in your "home away from home." The connections you make at Concordia go well beyond smiles and hellos between classes. At Concordia, you have an entire community cheering you on and supporting you every step of the way. If you should have any questions, be sure to contact us at any time.

A: Your admission counselor is Jodi LePla.

A: Concordia University requires official transcripts be submitted. You may be required to have your transcripts evaluated. Please see the list of evaluating partners.

Requirements and Specifications

Concordia University defines an international student to be a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card holder). Exceptions apply if you are currently in the U.S. in one of the following statuses: Refugee, Asylum, Parolee or Confidential Entrant.

You are eligible to apply for admission to Concordia University as an international undergraduate student if you have completed the equivalent of a United States secondary school education (approximately 12 years of formal education starting at age six). You must have either an appropriate diploma or satisfactory results on a leaving examination.

Become a Cavalier! Submit your application for enrollment today.